      From: Sean Powell <sean14powell@...>
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 1:55 PM
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] defining Archery

      You will never get a concensus on what we are trying to do, when, where and why. If you ask 1000 fighters there are 2000 opinions. Not even amoung just the fighters can we get an agreement on time and place. The best you can hope for is to hold an event or sponsor a battle and say "In this battle we are recreating the battle of Agincort. All the English and bow-archers report to the NE corner, All the French and crosbowmen report to the southern or western edges. All the archers who don't have or want armor report to the range. All the fighters who phiisophicly oppose combat archery report to the pick-up field."

      You can't MAKE anyone believe a certain thing. Best you can do is get together with like-minded people who already believe what you do, have fun and hope others come along. I hate "Seperate but equal" but we have a pretty big umbrella in the SCA, time we started saying that this part of the shade can accomodate X and that part will accomodate anti-X.

      Sean

      On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 4:37 PM, John Edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:

      I have seen references to this before, but had never noted the source.

      I think it would be most worthwhile if you or someone would write a paper on this for TI or Quivers and Quarrels.

      I find it interesting that on chivalry lists over the years I have frequently read posts that say: "Our armor standards indicate that we are doing early period. And therefore bows used in combat archery are the early period lighter draw bows and would not penetrate our armor. And besides archers would not have been used in tournament melees anyway and that is what our wars are. Tournament melees, not wars and archery would not have been used." They like to have it both ways.

      Jon