35276Re: [SCA-Archery] On the subject of binding/whipping fletching

  • Carolus
    Feb 13, 2014
      I never had any problems with the one set I did this way.  Of course, I was shooting from a bow with a very smooth arrow plate.  I used a fine crimson silk thread coated in a thin glue.
      Carolus
      On 2/13/2014 7:19 PM, magnetcoil@... wrote:

      Carolus, yes, good idea!  I was thinking of putting the feathers in a fletching jig clamp (to maintain straightness), and giving them a go on my little 1" belt sander - but sanding by hand sounds MUCH wiser, lol

      Have you ever had such a problem (string breakage over high angled quill)?  What do you use to bind your fletch?

      And Thorfin, interesting to hear you get glue to stick to the waxed "sinew." I've never tried fletch tite.  I DO like the way the sinew looks as a binding. I may further experiment in that direction...

      Anyone know where to get period correct linen thread?  Whatever weight that'd be for fletch binding, that is...