35075Re: [SCA-Archery] Archery supplies

  • James Koch
    Nov 7 2:19 PM
      Sean,

      I tend to agree.  Perhaps Quivers and Quarrels can do a regular article concerning equipment makers.  Either an article featuring one maker, or say several crossbow or arrow makers.

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

      > At 11:08 AM 11/7/2013, you wrote:

      As someone who buys gear rather then make I appreciate reviews both positive and negative. Nothing is so depressing as meeting a new scadian who is months or possibly years behind delivery on something they ordered if it even shows up at all or if it shows up but is wrong. Far too frequently the reviews provide warning to prevent that... and just as often links to a good company as well. I'd rather not get automated monthly advertizing but unsollicited reviews are fine to me. YMMV and the moderator has final say.

      I doubt I would join a site specificly for SCA advertizing. I think I deleted QVC from my list of cable chanels for the same reason.

      Searchable posts (which yahoo supports) seems like less labor then trying to maintain a database. I suspect that a database would quickly become obsolete.

      Sean

      On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 10:51 AM, richard johnson <rikjohnson39@... > wrote:

      no,  I'm not selling arrows nor do I get a kick-back.  Considering that a) I'm far from an expert and b) period arrows are so time-intensive that i'd never have a life if I did...

      BUT I recognize that you and others DO make arrows and bows.  If you can sell them, great!  I encourage capitalism!  Especially small business capitalism!  And I am certain that many people here would love to know that you DO make and sell decent archery gear.   Especially as although I CAN make arrows and gear, I've never made a string or bow that was any good<g> so I must purchase both and would like to know to whom to go.

      So I am giving my experiences with companies that supply 'period" gear and materials to help people a) dump their recurves in favor of an affordable "Period" longbow.  and b) give people who make arrows and the like a place to go which is afordable and honest.

      Think of it like a review of the good, the bad and the just plain worthless.

      Now, bringing up your point...
      Perhaps another yahoo-site "SCA-gear reviews"?
      Perhaps a site where people can advertize their own gear that they make and sel so we could keep the cash in-the-family so to speak.
      Perhaps where someone like me, who is looking for a new source of shafts or fletching or whatever, can go and read about companies that give good service for a decent price and which to avoid.
      Perhaps a database where you could type in "shaft" and see which companies sell and prices and how many people like them.

      Me, I spent days searching for a new source of shafts when my prevuious company stopped selling them.  And, of course, I made mistakes (that Chinese company being one) so a database would be useful to me and to others.
      PLUS people like you could openly advertize your arrows and bows and we'd know that we were getting something worthwhile.

      On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 8:37 AM, Kevin Smith <kevinsmith5@...> wrote:
      I've asked this before when something like this came up so I feel I should again. As a person who makes and sells both period bows and arrows is this message board for advertising? Because I've never made any attempt to try to "sell" here due to the fact I didn't think it was the purpose of the board.

      --
      Rick Johnson
      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com