35066Re: [SCA-Archery] Archery supplies

  • John R. Edgerton
    Nov 7, 2013
      Sagittarius was not advertising their products. Richard was giving feed back on suppliers.

      Selling a product is not the purpose of the board. However, I see no problem with letting people know that one is a bowyer or fletcher, etc. Or if someone is looking for a product that you make, it is acceptable to let them know. And giving reviews of suppliers should be encouraged.

      Jon

      Kevin Smith <kevinsmith5@...> wrote:

      I've asked this before when something like this came up so I feel I should again. As a person who makes and sells both period bows and arrows is this message board for advertising? Because I've never made any attempt to try to "sell" here due to the fact I didn't think it was the purpose of the board.

      On Nov 07, 2013, at 10:31 AM, richard johnson <rikjohnson39@...> wrote:

      I just received my feathers and points from Sagittarius archery  (sagarchery.com) .
      At $22/100 for 4" parabolic feathers, Sag was the cheapest place I could find that would see in volume.
      their 11.32 cedar shafts go for $24/doz with points at 30/$10.

      It's a small family business that only takes phone orders (the woman had to walk upstaris to get decent reception when I placed my order) which I like over the faceless conglomerates.

      It took roughly two weeks to receive my order of: 200 black and 100 white 4" feathers plus 4 dozen points.  the points tore through the recyclable soy zip-lock bag they used.  The feathers were in the hardier non-recyclable zip-lock.. go figure, but the box  kept everything safe.
      I'll try their shafts later one when I need more and see how those are.

      I'm taking my 42"  "longbow" kayak camping this weekend for some stump shooting (I made a waterproof case for the bow that straps to my deck) and will begin to make more arrows when I get back.

      So, I have to recommend:
      * Sagittarius archery for fletchings and points.
      * GIBow.com for longbows.

      On the other hand, there is a chinese company (zhengzhong tang) that uses AliExpress as an Asian Amazon.  gread prices $16/doz w/ free shipping...
      I like the shafts and LOVE the points  BUT....
      I ordered 11/32 shafts and they sent me a much thinner shaft.
      Communication with the companies is useless and I never received any reply so, once again, I cannot recommend Chinese companies regardless of their pricing.

      --
      Rick Johnson
      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com