35064Re: [SCA-Archery] Archery supplies

  • richard johnson
    Nov 7, 2013
      no,  I'm not selling arrows nor do I get a kick-back.  Considering that a) I'm far from an expert and b) period arrows are so time-intensive that i'd never have a life if I did...
      BUT I recognize that you and others DO make arrows and bows.  If you can sell them, great!  I encourage capitalism!  Especially small business capitalism!  And I am certain that many people here would love to know that you DO make and sell decent archery gear.   Especially as although I CAN make arrows and gear, I've never made a string or bow that was any good<g> so I must purchase both and would like to know to whom to go.
      So I am giving my experiences with companies that supply 'period" gear and materials to help people a) dump their recurves in favor of an affordable "Period" longbow.  and b) give people who make arrows and the like a place to go which is afordable and honest.
      Think of it like a review of the good, the bad and the just plain worthless.
      Now, bringing up your point...
      Perhaps another yahoo-site "SCA-gear reviews"?
      Perhaps a site where people can advertize their own gear that they make and sel so we could keep the cash in-the-family so to speak.
      Perhaps where someone like me, who is looking for a new source of shafts or fletching or whatever, can go and read about companies that give good service for a decent price and which to avoid.
      Perhaps a database where you could type in "shaft" and see which companies sell and prices and how many people like them.
      Me, I spent days searching for a new source of shafts when my prevuious company stopped selling them.  And, of course, I made mistakes (that Chinese company being one) so a database would be useful to me and to others.
      PLUS people like you could openly advertize your arrows and bows and we'd know that we were getting something worthwhile.

      On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 8:37 AM, Kevin Smith <kevinsmith5@...> wrote:
      I've asked this before when something like this came up so I feel I should again. As a person who makes and sells both period bows and arrows is this message board for advertising? Because I've never made any attempt to try to "sell" here due to the fact I didn't think it was the purpose of the board.

      On Nov 07, 2013, at 10:31 AM, richard johnson <rikjohnson39@...> wrote:

      I just received my feathers and points from Sagittarius archery  (sagarchery.com) .
      At $22/100 for 4" parabolic feathers, Sag was the cheapest place I could find that would see in volume.
      their 11.32 cedar shafts go for $24/doz with points at 30/$10.
      It's a small family business that only takes phone orders (the woman had to walk upstaris to get decent reception when I placed my order) which I like over the faceless conglomerates.
      It took roughly two weeks to receive my order of: 200 black and 100 white 4" feathers plus 4 dozen points.  the points tore through the recyclable soy zip-lock bag they used.  The feathers were in the hardier non-recyclable zip-lock.. go figure, but the box  kept everything safe.
      I'll try their shafts later one when I need more and see how those are.
      I'm taking my 42"  "longbow" kayak camping this weekend for some stump shooting (I made a waterproof case for the bow that straps to my deck) and will begin to make more arrows when I get back.
      So, I have to recommend:
      * Sagittarius archery for fletchings and points.
      * GIBow.com for longbows.
      On the other hand, there is a chinese company (zhengzhong tang) that uses AliExpress as an Asian Amazon.  gread prices $16/doz w/ free shipping...
      I like the shafts and LOVE the points  BUT....
      I ordered 11/32 shafts and they sent me a much thinner shaft.
      Communication with the companies is useless and I never received any reply so, once again, I cannot recommend Chinese companies regardless of their pricing.

      Rick Johnson

      Rick Johnson