35036Re: [SCA-Archery] SCA Period Arrow Nocks

  • James Koch
    Nov 4, 2013
      Kevin,

      Thanks for the heads up on the antler.  I have bought bone at pet supply places, but didn't look for antler.  I can cut antler into slabs, and cut the slabs into square sections.  The squares can be sanded into octagons, and the octagons can be easily turned to form nocks.  So Now I can make SCA period arrows with rugged nocks.

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

      >At 09:11 PM 10/31/2013, you wrote:

      That could probably be done with deer antler as well. They sell deer antler sheds in pet stores as chew toys for dogs now.

      On Oct 31, 2013, at 10:09 PM, jwandht@... wrote:

      Jim I have seen nocks made out of horn and attached with sinew,

      They are Persian 1600s here is a picture of them.

      http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ApXuKgXwiOI/S2IVStc1RSI/AAAAAAAAAs4/dRxsk73ZrXw/s1600/Nocks.JPG

      ---In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, < sca-archery@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Gentlemen & Ladies,

      Does anyone have links to information regarding glued on or inserted
      arrow nocks that would have been used prior to 1600CE? If so, please
      provide links. I was shooting pretty much SCA period arrows, but the
      wood nocks kept breaking even with the wood reinforcing and wrapping.

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic