35035Re: [SCA-Archery] SCA Period Arrow Nocks

  • Kevin Smith
    Nov 4, 2013
      Cedar is too brittle. In period they commonly used poplar or Ashe which are far more durable woods. Oak was found in some but it would have made for a heavier shaft.

      On Nov 4, 2013, at 3:06 PM, James Koch <alchem@...> wrote:

      Kevin,

      I believe the arrows are cedar.  If I remember correctly they were wrapped, but did not have inserts.

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

      >  At 09:07 PM 10/31/2013, you wrote:

      Have you tried horn inserts? Or Purple Heart? Maybe green heart or Ipe? What wood are the arrows?

      On Oct 31, 2013, at 9:36 PM, James Koch <alchem@...> wrote:

      Gentlemen & Ladies,

      Does anyone have links to information regarding glued on or inserted
      arrow nocks that would have been used prior to 1600CE? If so, please
      provide links. I was shooting pretty much SCA period arrows, but the
      wood nocks kept breaking even with the wood reinforcing and wrapping.

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic