34874Re: [SCA-Archery] Fiberglass What is Period Archery.

  • Kevin Smith
    Oct 31, 2013
      So again, we lower out standard if period for one style and not others because some choose a style that is more expensive to buy or more difficult to recreate themselves?

      On Oct 31, 2013, at 9:03 PM, Joe Klovance <jklovanc@...> wrote:

      A difference is also that the entry level for a authentic horsebow is around $1200 while you can get a pretty durable laminated bow for around $400. That is 1/3 the price. The barrier to entry for all natural horse bows is much higher than for reasonably durable longbows. I have also seen yew bows for around $700. If you add in the durability issue for natural horse bows the difference gets even larger.

      A $200 longbow is an entry level bow and will probably be replaced pretty quickly or not shot all that frequently.

      A $1200 entry point is too high and must be taken into consideration when dealing with what is acceptable. While not period, I see fiberglass as an acceptable consideration due to the high entry costs.

      Gryffyd

    • Show all 419 messages in this topic