34858Re: [SCA-Archery] What is Period Archery.

  • Kevin Smith
    Oct 31, 2013
      Is have an issue with it IF anyone made a true period style longbow in fiberglass. What people CALL longbows when they're talking fiberglass is actually an American flatbow and they have cut shelves. But a carbon core tri-lam would offer significant advantage in both cast and raw speed.
      If ever we expect SCA members who are Bowyers (me) to be taken seriously by A&S we can't have synthetic bows called period. They aren't. Is a horn bow expensive? Yes. Is a good durable all wood longbow of Ipe and white oak expensive? Yes. Do both require proper care that a fiberglass one would not? Yes. I can't leave my bow in a car, I keep it in an oiled bow sock, I don't leave it string more than 6 hours....

      On Oct 31, 2013, at 7:36 PM, Bai-Or <baiorofred@...> wrote:

      Not a longbow shooter.  But I do know that a $130 fiberglass horsebow shoots very, very poorly with lots of hand shock and weak arrow cast.  These are entry level bows, I wouldn't expect them to be performers but they get new people started in period archery for cheap which is an absolute win all around.  If people want to take it further, then awesome, I fully support it.  That's part of what the period archery academy is about is giving people incentive to take it even further if they want to.

      I should point out, that in my ignorance of longbows I actually do not know if a period styled fiberglass longbow would perform better than the period material equivalent.  If it doesn't perform better than I have absolutely no problem with the rules allowing their use as long as it has period style and appearance.

      EĆ³gan
      Archery Captain, Shire of Mynydd Seren
      http://rangersofmynyddseren.wix.com/archery

    • Show all 419 messages in this topic