34394Re: [SCA-Archery] making arrows

  • Sean Powell
    Sep 30, 2013
      Have you seen some of the mistakes that can be made assembling an IKEA shelf? Assembly can be quite the acquired skill set. :)

      I have this same discussion with people regarding 'making' armor. I don't run my own blast furnace or trip-hammer out my own sheet. I don't cast my own brass or copper rivets and buckles. What I do make I frequently make with laser-cut steel, a 20th century drill and 20th centurn grinder and a other 20th century tools on a 19th century pattern anvil. I don't tan the leather for my own straps and I don't refine the oil or wak that keeps it from rusting. The context of the question though is "Did you make that -OR- did you buy that." As I didn't buy it the alternate answer is I made it. The amount to which I made from scratch vs assembled is something craftsman can discuss in detail privately. Once day I hope to cast my own brass and tan my own leather but now is not that day.

      Just my opinion on the buy/make/assembly distinction.

      Sean
      On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 2:54 PM, Joe Klovance <jklovanc@...> wrote:

      To me assemble is not accurate. Assemble means putting something together using a set of instructions that refer to objects with slots, screws, nails, glue etc. The main point is that everything is pre-cut, pre-drilled and usually pre-finished. There is very little skill involved at all. One assembles an Ikea bookshelf.

      Gryffyd

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic