34351Re: [SCA-Archery] what is allowed and where

  • John Edgerton
    Sep 23, 2013
      Just to make it clear, PVC bows are not banned for target archery at the Society level. They are banned for combat pending testing by the marshalete. They may allowed or not allowed at kingdom level for target.

      On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 10:27 AM PDT richard johnson wrote:

      >The Rules may seem to be capricious and inconsistant and may
      >ocasionally reflect the prejudices and finances of the Marshall...
      >.... wood-&-fiberglass laminate bows with a cut-out arrow-shelf are allowed.
      >.....wood self-bows are encouraged.
      >.....Composite (wood laminate) bows are allowed
      >.....Compound bows (pullys) are not!
      >..... PVC bows are not.
      >.....What about 100% fiberglass bows that look more Period than recurves???
      >.....Wood arrows are required
      >.....aluminun and synthetics are not.
      >.....aluminun arrows with feathers are ?????
      >.....wood arrows with plastic vanes are????
      >.....dacron bowstrings are allowed
      >.....add-on arrow shelf are tolorated.
      >.....wood yumi self-bows are allowed.
      >Some of these are SCA Rules, some Kingdom Rules and some are Event Rules.
      >I suspect that modern fiberglass recurves with shelfs are allowed
      >becuase when that rule was made, jno one could find or afford a
      >Period-looking bow!
      >I suspect that PVC bows are banned simply because they may be fun to
      >make, they just look tacky<g>. Compound bows are too modern so are
      >Dacron bowstrings will always be allowed for safety!
      >So I suspect that in at least some cases, the Rules were made to
      >encourage Authenticity, in other cases financial reasons made the Rule
      >and in some, personal prejudices.
      >(note that I've seen some PVC horse-bows that easily passed the
      >20'-rule and some fiberglass recurves that just looked... well let's
      >end there.)
      >Rick Johnson
      >"Those who give up a little freedom in return for a little imagined
      >security will soon find that they have neither."
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic