34259RE: Re: [SCA-Archery] arrow rest (need for one or using a glove)

  • pol_obriain
    Sep 17, 2013

      Yes, it is different from modern compound bows and they work in very different ways. Once you loose you arrow the arrow raises up off the hand and flies clear of it (remember you also have feathers to clear hand too).

      As long as the arrow nocking point is only one arrows width above the hand the arrow flies very straight.  It is only if you have it much higher or lower than that it starts enter the target a wrong angles and doing funny things in the air.

      YIS

      Pól

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, <sca-archery@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Barún,

      That is a very clear description of where to set the nock point and runs counter to everything I was told when I started shooting (by modern coumpound shooters). Is there a reason why setting the nock-points 1 arrow width higher protects the hand? And does this introduce a vercical equivilent of the 'archers paradox' where the string wants to launch the knock above the tip and the arrow needs to straighten after launch?

      Thank you for your knowledge on this subject. I'm very interested in switching from a modern construction bow with cut-out to a traditional Mary-Rose profile.

      Symon de Poitiers

      On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 6:55 AM, Paul O'Brien <pauljpobrien@...> wrote:

      Greetings all

      There has been a lot of people saying about using a glove or an arrow rest so they do not hit their bow hand with an arrow.  The cause of hitting you hand is casued not the lack of a rest or glove but incorrect nocking height of the arrow on the bow string.

      To work out the placement of the nock point place an arrow on the bow, having the arrow rest on your bow hand or arrow rest if your bow has one. The arrow should be at 90 degrees to the string. Now nock a second arrow above the first arrow.  Now remove the first arrow. The base of your arrow should now be one arrow’s width above the arrow rest. Now attach you nock points above and below the remaining arrow, making sure to allow a little room between the nock points and the arrow (1 or 2mm).

      I have been shooting english longbow for over 10years and have been on the Irish National time a number of times and have never hit my hand once.  I have seen people tear their hand to bits because of incorrect nocking height; I have corrected it for them and suddely they no long hit their hand.  It really is that simple.

      Hope this helps.

      YIS
      Barún Pól óBriain
      Drachenwald Kingdom Archery Champion