      From: sirjon1@...
      Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 21:30:25 -0700
      Subject: RE: [SCA-Archery] arrow rest photo?

      Where was the label "bow rest"?

      Jon

      Joe Klovance <jklovanc@...> wrote:

      f that is the photo I would call that very slim evidence of period arrow rests. Here is the link to the discussion on Paleoplanet
      http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/57206/Re-Arrow-Rest-on-English-Longbows?page=-1#.UjSzi8a1HwY

      I agree with one quote; 'Does it not remind you of the archaeological explanation of a straightening stick with a hole in it as a "baton de commandement"?'
      It is not even labeled as "arrow rest" but "bow rest" and there seems to be no explanation. Without a date we can not even say if it is in period.

      From my view the top seems to be more carved to depict the animal's head rather that to effectively hold an arrow. To me that looks more like the top section of a staff with finger grooves below the decorative head and nothing to do with bows.

      Gryffyd
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic