      From: Joe Klovance <jklovanc@...>
      To: "SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com" <sca-archery@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2013 12:53 PM
      Subject: RE: [SCA-Archery] arrow rest photo? [1 Attachment]

      [Attachment(s) from Joe Klovance included below]

      f that is the photo I would call that very slim evidence of period arrow rests. Here is the link to the discussion on Paleoplanet

      I agree with one quote; 'Does it not remind you of the archaeological explanation of a straightening stick with a hole in it as a "baton de commandement"?'
      It is not even labeled as "arrow rest" but "bow rest" and there seems to be no explanation. Without a date we can not even say if it is in period.

      From my view the top seems to be more carved to depict the animal's head rather that to effectively hold an arrow. To me that looks more like the top section of a staff with finger grooves below the decorative head and nothing to do with bows.

      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      From: sirjon1@...
      Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 11:17:13 -0700
      Subject: [SCA-Archery] arrow rest photo? [1 Attachment]

      [Attachment(s) from John Edgerton included below]
      Taillear started a thread on Paleoplanet about the arrow rest.  And someone else posted a photo. It is the item I had seen before in a clearer photo.  The original from Paleoplanet was quite dark, so I adjusted it. It is still not a great view of the item. If anyone else has better photos, please post them.

      I hope the attachment comes through.

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic