    From my view the top seems to be more carved to depict the animal's head rather that to effectively hold an arrow. To me that looks more like the top section of a staff with finger grooves below the decorative head and nothing to do with bows.

    Gryffyd

    To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
    From: sirjon1@...
    Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 11:17:13 -0700
    Subject: [SCA-Archery] arrow rest photo? [1 Attachment]

    [Attachment(s) from John Edgerton included below]
    Taillear started a thread on Paleoplanet about the arrow rest.  And someone else posted a photo. It is the item I had seen before in a clearer photo.  The original from Paleoplanet was quite dark, so I adjusted it. It is still not a great view of the item. If anyone else has better photos, please post them.

    I hope the attachment comes through.