34182RE: Re: [SCA-Archery] RE: Arrow shelf

  • brotherjohn66
    Sep 13, 2013

      Hello All:

      Primus: Why assume bows had handgrips of any sort?  None have survived, and I'm not aware of any pictorial evidence for handgrips. Furthermore, if there ever were grips on the Mary Rose bows, wouldn't they have left stains or other traces of their existence, even if the grips themselves rotted away? And, assuming the grips were leather, why would they have rotted away when we have piles of other leather goods(bracers, etc.) that did survive?

      Secundus: Whether the bows are  strictly military or not is irrelevant, as there is no evidence for arrow rests regardless of the intended purpose of the bow.

      John Wayland

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, <sca-archery@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I've looked at a number of images of Mary Rose bows and I don't recall
      any of them having handgrips of any kind. Being submerged for so long
      it would be likely these would have been lost and thus any attached
      rests with them. As was stated absence of evidence is not evidence of
      absence and I wouldn't use this as reliable evidence in any case.
      Carolus
    • Show all 42 messages in this topic