34152Re: RE: [SCA-Archery] RE: Arrow shelf

  • richard johnson
    Sep 13 7:48 AM
      Which was my original point long ago.
      Cut-out arrow shelfs are a modern invention. Plus a waste of good wood.
      BUT...
      It didn't take a modern genius to figure out that if he carved a piece
      of bone or wood and lashed it to the stave, he's have an arrow rest.

      It just took people some time to find documentation for the thought.
      Now that they had an idea of what to look for<g>.

      Now.. what about bow stringers?
      I sold my 57# recurve (bought a new kayak) because I simply could not
      string the thing.
      On my longbows... I made a leather-&-cloth pad about 4" across which I
      toss on the ground.
      I set my longbow on that pad so I don't have the bow digging into the
      ground every time i string it.
      THEN, I made a pouch that fit over the upper limb-tip. Attached a
      strap to that pouch and when I want to string or unstring my longbow,
      I toss the pad on the ground, slide the upper loop over the upper limb
      and string the lower tip and set that tip onto the pad.
      Then set the pouch over the upper tip, slip my hand through the strap
      and pull down with one hand as i slide the string loop up to the
      string-notch.

      It is MUCH easier and safer than setting the bow into wet or rough
      ground, pulling to bend the bow and having to hold it while looping
      the string over the upper tip.

      True, I know of no evidence that was done but, like the arrow shelf
      recently mentioned, I would imagine that such a simple idea was
      invented by some thoughtful bowman with time on his hand.

      --
      Rick Johnson
      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com