33856Re: [SCA-Archery] Shooting

  • Robert Meyer
    Jul 10, 2013
      I make longbows and I typically shoot a hickory backed, rock maple longbow that I never quite got around to finishing. I roughed it in, tillered it and took it out in the yard to test it. At some point, I decided that sealing it would be a good idea so I gave it a couple of coats of boiled linseed oil. I still shoot it, five years after I made it, tool marks and all :-) I have made many bows since then but I typically give them away. I made a really nice hickory backed, purpleheart bow with horn nocks and the works but there was a flaw in the hickory and the backing is splitting, so I don't shoot that one, any more.

      Next up is going to be a hickory self bow that I have in the works (as soon as a friend gets finished with the one that I'm teaching her to make) that will have horn tips and a leather wrapped grip.

      All of these bows have been simple longbows with no shelves or cutouts.

      One of these days, I'll get around to building a laminated recurve but I have other fish to fry.

      Cheers!

      Robert

      David <ater_seraph@...> wrote:
      Greetings fellow Archers,

      I was wondering what poundage and draw lengths of bows you all shoot for leisure and competition. I have two English/Welsh style period bows, in 45 and 55lbs, both at a 28" draw, and a horsebow on the way in 45lb at 28" also. How about you guys?

      In Service,

      Da'ud
      Barony of Adiantum, AnTir