33850RE: [SCA-Archery] Shooting

  • Dierk zem Grauen Wolf
    Jul 10, 2013

      I use a 25# yumi long bow and a 35# long bow. Anything more would be overkill since I'm just killing paper. I think It takes more skill to hit a 70 yd target with the 25# than with a higher poundage bow.

      On Jul 10, 2013 7:09 AM, "Groff, Garth (ggg9y)" <ggg9y@...> wrote:

      Noble Friends,

      Ah, bows and such! I use a 40# Tred Barta modern hunting longbow (3Rivers) for practice and Royal Rounds. For my hand, this is the absolute perfect bow. I have an old 40# Bear Polar recurve which gets only occasional use. For tournaments, I use a 40# Rudder Bows/3Rivers Hawkwood English-style longbow, shot off the hand. I have made it my goal to shoot period when I am in garb.

      My sweetheart shoots a 35# Martin Stick longbow.

      Down the basement was have a whole arsenal of bows, mostly our loaners. There are the usual fiberglass youth bows in various sizes and weights up to 35 lbs. Bows in my personal loaner kit are mostly new or nearly new, as I believe in giving guests good-quality stuff. There are a few higher poundage wood/fiberglass loaners, including a 46# Bear Hawk recurve and a 42# custom-made Zack Ferguson Z-50 longbow (possibly the most expensive loaner bow the entire SCA). We also keep the Shire’s collection of relic youth bows at our house.

      Yours Aye,

      Lord Mungo Napier, The Archer of Mallard Lodge

      Read “The Tale of Mungo Napier”:

      http://people.virginia.edu/~ggg9y/napier1.html