33842RE: [SCA-Archery] Re: Kingdom Bow Catagories

  • Groff, Garth (ggg9y)
    Jul 9, 2013

      M’Lord Osmond, Greetings.

      The easiest way to spread period archery is to lead by example. That’s what I’m trying to do.

      Throwing down challenges is another way. Make others want to prove themselves with period equipment.

      And teach, teach, teach. Make your students curious. Set easy goals at first. I just taught a University class on making simple target-weight period-style arrows. I will teach this again at Pennsic. At least a few of my students are going to try making these arrows, and one or two may take up a period bow as well.

      We can’t beat anybody with a stick to make them want to try. Tempting, but probably futile.

      Yours Aye,

      Lord Mungo Napier, The Archer of Mallard Lodge

      Read “The Tale of Mungo Napier”:

      http://people.virginia.edu/~ggg9y/napier1.html