33836Re: Kingdom Bow Catagories

  • The Greys
    Jul 7, 2013
      Carolus - Nail head. SMACK!!! Dead on! I have always believed that a champion's shoot should test the skill of an archer so that the true champion prevails. Thus in our baronial champion shoots I have designed and conducted I have things like shooting with unfamiliar equipment, I provide the bow and arrows for one portion of the shoot. At Southern Atlantian Archery Day, SAAD for short, I believe archers of all skill levels should be able to score some points. Thus I set shooting stations that are not as tough but have a few to separate out and challenge the better archers.

      But can we be reasonable here? How many of us have seen pictures of aborigine folks shooting compound bows with sights, release mechanisms, balancers, string silencers, carbon shafted arrows, et al? Yeah, I haven't either. And yet amazingly these folks are able to feed their families from what they kill with basically a bent stick with a string on it. And yet we hear of modern "hunters" missing shots on a deer.

      Longbows are slightly more difficult to master than modern recurves. But practice, practice, practice makes a HUGE difference in the results. Do we not read about archers in period that could hit the heart of a man sized target at 100 or more yards or shoot through the open visor of a French knight?

      Thus it is NOT the equipment but the "operator" that makes the difference. Carolus, right on!

      cog

      > What I really find sad is the fact the folks believe the equipment makes
      > more of a difference than the archer. I have found that this only
      > applies until the archers achieve a
      > moderate skill level then the skill overcomes the equipment.
      > Carolus
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic