33823Re: [SCA-Archery] Kingdom Bow Catagories

  • ater seraph
    Jul 4, 2013
      Greetings Aleksei:

      I DID read it, and have it here. I am posting a copy of the section that you mentioned. It seems pretty clear, that a modern style recurve bow shoots in the period catagory, as long as they are using the correct arrow types. How do the rest of you see it?

      Symon

      c. Handbows
      i. Recurve: Any bow with recurved limb ends and a cutout sight window.
      Includes bows with only slightly recurved limb ends and cutout sight
      windows, where the string does not touch or only slightly touches the
      recurved portion of the limb. Includes bows modeled on the Asian style
      recurves characterized by static recurved limb tips, or Siyahs, with or
      without a cutout sight window.
      ii. Longbow: Any bow with straight limbs or slightly recurved limb ends,
      with or without a cutout sight window, where the bowstring does not
      touch or only slightly touches the limb ends. Modern longbows having
      an arrow shelf built into the bow are, by definition, longbows.
      d. Crossbows: Any bow meeting the crossbow equipment standards in D.4.
      Crossbows may be shot from any position consistent with safety standards. No
      artificial supports may be used.
      e. Period bow: A handbow or crossbow that conforms in spirit and/or actuality to
      bows common during the time period covered by the SCA.
      i. The following are prohibited:
      o Full or partial center cut sight windows.
      o Limb marks or sighting aids.
      o Non-period arrow rests.
      o Take down bows.