33817Re: Kingdom Bow Catagories

  • brotherjohn66
    Jul 4, 2013
      Hello All:

      This is just my 2 cents worth(inflation, you know).
      Symon is, imo, correct that the period bow category ought to include only bows that are actually period. I have never seen a period bow from any primary source that has an arrow shelf/rest. I'm not saying they didn't exist, I just don't know of any. If anyone out there can document them, I'd appreciate it, because we should all be open to learning new things. I don't think Symon is saying that that period bows are less accurate, just that they are more difficult to master. And that, again in my opinion, does give the modern recurve user a distinct advantage, at least at first. Ergo, having a separate category for truly period equipment makes sense. And allowing modern bows to compete in this category does not make sense.

      Sincerely,
      John

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "David" <ater_seraph@...> wrote:

      > Greetings fellow archers: I was wondering if your Kingdom has a different, ie more stringent, view on the "Traditional" or "period" longbow classification. I am from AnTir, and here ANY longbow made out of wood, is considered "Period" for the "Traditional" category. I find this sad at the least. If ANY modern, recurve, fiberglass longbow with an arrow rest is "Traditional", then why even have this category? Anyone that uses a medieval style English/Welsh longbow, ie stick bow, will start at a decided disadvantage. Discussion on this? I am curious, being new to SCA Archery, I was a Heavy for MANY years, and I'm kind of seeing a pattern here. Ideas, or stricter measures for what is considered 'Traditional'.?
      >
      > YIS,
      >
      > Symon Bearo
      >
      > (AnTir) Barnony of Adiantum

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic