33811Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Strings newbie help?

  • Siegfried
    Jul 3, 2013
      Your rule is simpler than mine. Mine has always been walking through
      the following mention formula:

      1. B-50 is rated at 50 lbs

      2.1 However on an endless loop string, you have half as many at the ends
      2.2 On a Flemish string, the 'weave' is only 50% as strong.

      3. Therefore, you need to at least double it.

      4. Now, multiply by 4 for a safety factor. Because, ummm, yeah. BE SAFE.

      ;)

      So that meant to me: 30# bow? means I need at least 2 strands, so I
      make an 8 strand string.

      80# combat crossbow? I'd need 4 strands. So I make a 16 strand string.

      130# crossbow? I'd need 6 strands, so I make a 24 strand string.

      ... It's a lot more rough of math, and if I'm close to a limit (50, 100,
      150), I'll add an extra bundle of 4. So a 50# bow gets 12 strand, 100#
      crossbow gets 20 strand, and 150# crossbow gets 28.

      Siegfried

      --
      Barun Siegfried Sebastian Faust, OP - Baron Highland Foorde - Atlantia