33631Re: period archery bracer article

  • mike
    Jun 24, 2013
      My question for this is about period methods. Would they have put it stone oven to heat the leather after soaking it, would it have set out in the sun. (around here it might work that way with temps during the summer of 110+. Would they have had wooden form for an arm. Could the holes in the piece be where they placed tacks/nails to hold it to the form during the making of the design?
      In one step it says and shows the leather curled where it touched the bottom of the pot. Not having heated leather in a pot does it float?
      Would they have just put it in a pot of boiling water?
      They found some "paint", could this have been an oil based dyed sealant. Would they have "heated" it in oil instead of water. Adding some kind of dye. This would explain the color difference, and the paint type feeling. Just wondering if anyone knows?

      Michael

      > I just found an excellent article on the construction of a hardened leather late
      > period archery bracer.
      >
      > http://www.crossraguly.com/index.php/archery/7-archery-bracer
      >
      > Jon

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic