33189Re: [SCA-Archery] Crossbows vs Others

  • John Edgerton
    May 16, 2013
      Correction on the next to the last sentence. It should read: "Adjustable rear peep sights on crossbows were used in late period and that is why they are allowed in the period crossbow division of IKAC and that the general SCA target archery rules allow their use."

      From: John Edgerton <sirjon1@...>
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thu, May 16, 2013 11:24:52 AM
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Crossbows vs Others

      This could lead to an interesting discussion.

      The Society target archery rules allow the use of both non-period handbows and crossbows. If one wishes to limit crossbows to period only, then one would have to limit handbows to period only.  This would mean no take-down bows with bolt on limbs and no built up risers with cut-outs with built in arrow rests. This would greatly reduce the number of archers shooting at our events. All handbows are not required by the Society target archery rules to meet period requirements. Kingdoms may make stricter rules regarding equipment such as requiring only period gear.  However, they can not reduce the rules and allow compound bows and aluminum or fiberglass shafting or plastic vanes.

      The SCA target archery rules do not differentiate between period and non-period bows. The period versus non-period division of bows is either a kingdom rule or an IKAC rule. There is no SCA definition of "period gear".

      "October 2003
      Equipment Standards
      General Standards
      All equipment should be consistent with pre-17th century archery in looks and function. The
      construction, use, and knowledge of period-style equipment and its safe use are among the primary
      goals of SCA archery. However, the use of modern equipment is permitted provided it meets the
      equipment standards spelled out below."

      Nothing in these rules shall be interpreted as preventing a Kingdom or branch from making rules
      requiring the use of period style equipment in a period division or a specific competit! ion. The rules
      allow the use of modern style bows, but do not require that all competitions allow their use."

      Does the East allow modern recurves with take-down bolt-on limbs and center-cut risers? If so, they are not requiring period style bows.

      The use of period style gear should be strongly encouraged at our events.  However, it is not required.

      When the SCA target archery rules were written (I was involved in this) requiring only period style gear would have greatly limited the number of people that could afford to purchase or make it at that time.  However, since that time the book "The Bowyer's Bible" with its information on lumber yard board bows is now available for building inexpensive longbows. Eastern style "Horse bows" with fiberglass limbs can be purchased for a reasonable price. And just recently the use of PVC water pipe, "The Impossible Bow", for building inexpensive period looking bows is being tried by some archers. So I think that is reasonable to consider that we more strongly encourage the use of period style gear. We should never completely restrict the use the use of modern gear. For this would discourage new archers, that do not yet have period gear, from participating in archery in the SCA.

      Adjustable rear peep sights on crossbows were used in late period and that is why they are allowed in the period crossbow division.

      I think this can become a worthwhile discussion of the goals of SCA target archery.  However, let us all please keep it polite.