33122Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Which Bitzenburger do you recommend

  • Carolus
    May 6, 2013
      Tom,
      In fact I think you have better control with the straight because you can adjust the angle more precisely.  I think I can even get better spin with it.  The helical is pretty critical in its optimal setting.

      Try making some sets of 4 arrows with different fletching setups to try them out and find what works best for you.  If one set turns out really bad, you can strip and re-fletch it.  I find this gives me an end of 3 with a spare for testing.
      Carolus
      On 5/6/2013 8:17 PM, tomjulessca wrote:

      Carolus,

      If there isn't much difference I do prefer the aesthetic of the straight. Thanks for the input.

      Tom

      > You can't get better. I've got 2 of these with straight and left
      > helical clamps. Some say you should match the helical twist to your
      > shooting style; if you shoot right-handed, use right helical, if
      > left-handed, left helical. A few say use the reverse. I don't think it
      > matters. Personally, I prefer the straight for most uses. I can set the
      > twist either direction that way. Some say you get better rifling with
      > helical but I don't rally see a difference. FWIW, I've been shooting
      > nearly 50 years, both SCA and Olympic form including national level
      > competition and I've made a lot of arrows over the years.
      > On 5/5/2013 6:25 PM, tomjulessca wrote:
      > >
      > > Relatively new to archery (now shooting a 45# longbow) and have never
      > > made an arrow. The two dozen arrows I purchased have (had) helical
      > > fletching.
      > >
      > > After reading lots of reviews and other research, I am going to buy a
      > > Bitzenburger jig. However, none of my research described comparison
      > > between using a helical jig & clamp vs a straight jig & left hand clamp.
      > >
      > > Any input regarding relative merit will be appreciated. Thanks.
      > >
      > > Tom

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic