33118Re: [SCA-Archery] Which Bitzenburger do you recommend

  • Carolus
    May 5, 2013
      You can't get better.  I've got 2 of these with straight and left helical clamps.  Some say you should match the helical twist to your shooting style; if you shoot right-handed, use right helical, if left-handed, left helical.  A few say use the reverse.  I don't think it matters.  Personally, I prefer the straight for most uses.  I can set the twist either direction that way.  Some say you get better rifling with helical but I don't rally see a difference.  FWIW, I've been shooting nearly 50 years, both SCA and Olympic form including national level competition and I've made a lot of arrows over the years.
      On 5/5/2013 6:25 PM, tomjulessca wrote:

      Relatively new to archery (now shooting a 45# longbow) and have never made an arrow. The two dozen arrows I purchased have (had) helical fletching.

      After reading lots of reviews and other research, I am going to buy a Bitzenburger jig. However, none of my research described comparison between using a helical jig & clamp vs a straight jig & left hand clamp.

      Any input regarding relative merit will be appreciated. Thanks.

      Tom

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic