      From: Rusty McMillan <randal_of_camusfearna@...>
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wed, April 10, 2013 9:47:11 AM
      Subject: [SCA-Archery] Re: Wooden arrows banned from archery ranges?

      Our Barony purchased six dozen wooden arrows from a local shop a couple of years ago to use as loaners for beginners. They had a bad batch of glue or some other problem, as more than a dozen points have since come off in our Saunders butts. I just ordered replacement points, and plan to use your wire brad technique to prefent further losses.

      > What I do to prevent any of my points from coming loose works very well, but is
      > more labor intensive than just glueing them on.
      > I drill a small hole, just large enough to take a wire brad nail, all the way
      > through the base of the field tip and the shaft inside it. I then insert the
      > brad and cut it off. The cut off end and the head of the brad are then filed
      > almost smooth. They do not come off by accident. But, you can file one end of
      > the brad all the way down and then drive it out and remove the field point.
      > Jon

    • Show all 61 messages in this topic