32893Re: Height of Target, Burlap in bulk

  • The Greys
    Mar 29, 2013
      Apologies, forgot about peanut allergies. However, fear not, a highly suitable alternative, as mentioned in posts here, are feed bags. They are made out of a fiberglass like (NOT FIBERGLASS) material that holds up nearly as well as peanut bags. You can get these free from horse owners or feed stores.

      cog

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "aelric_southlake" <magnetcoil@...> wrote:

      > Woah! I went searching back to find a post about a bow making class, wanted to contact relevant parties, and realized there were way more responses and tangents to my question about target height..
      >
      > Some good stuff I didn't see!
      >
      > This is all belated but:
      >
      > I won't ever use peanut bags! promise! food allergies are no joke!
      >
      > And yes, shooting variety is crucial for sure... I try to shoot at different heights and kinds of targets whenever possible. Joined an outdoor range last year that has a hiking course, 3D targets... I was just asking cuz I figured since I was making a target stand for the back yard, I should find out if there were any standards that might inform my set up.
      >
      > Legalities: Wow, had never thought of that... oi!.. fortunately my side neighbors are super cool (so far) and there isn't a neighbor behind my place (where the arrows go). Put up two 4x8 sheets of plywood to protect the old fence. So... hopefully that'll remain ok - what with having gone and built the stand already.
      >
      > BURLAP. Where do you get the huge swaths of burlap you see landscapers use to gather up trimmings and whatnot? Buying burlap at a fabric store ain't that cheap for something that is ostensibly a utilitarian, rough grade fabric. The burlap I've looked at on-line all seems to refer back to fabric store/crafty type vendors... Would love to get my hands on some of that landscaper stuff... Who knows, maybe they pay top dollar for it too, but I doubt it...
      >
      > ~ A

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic