32810Re: [SCA-Archery] What to do when you are always overspined?

  • William Davis
    Mar 6, 2013
      Simple enough.

      Step 1)  Which kind of bow are you using?  Shelved Recurve or Shelved Longbow, that are center shot, ie the string lines up with the inner edge of the shelf (more or less), you use the columns on the left of the table.  If you are using an unshelved longbow, or other bow where the edge of the bow and the bowstring do NOT align, then you use the columns on the right side of the table.

      Step 2)  What is your point weight?  Most people use either the 100 or 125 grain points, some may have lighter, in which case you will have to extrapolate from this chart, and some use heavier.  Go down under the Point Grain Weight column until you come to the box with the draw weight of your bow.

      Step 3)  Now move to the right (or left, as the case may be) until you reach a box under your arrow length.  That box will tell you the spine weight you want for your arrows.

      Step 4)  Buy arrows.

      Step 5)  Practice, practice, practice, and practice some more.  If you are a beginner, or novice, you may want to even consider lessons.

      One thing I have done, which I find helps.  I made a simple chart with bunch of roundel targets on it (I got 20 on a standard 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper).  I numbered the boxes 1 - 20. I then took a sharpie and numbered my arrows, 1 - 18 (1 don't have 20 of the same).  I then went to the range, and using the same group of 6 arrows, I shot an end. Using the box number that corresponds to the arrow I shot, I mark where each arrow hit.  I did that 12 or 15 ends, with the same arrows.  When finished I have a record of where each arrow went.  I can now see a number of things.  Which arrows fly truest.  It shows grouping.  Some may fly a bit left, or right, or up, or down.  Do the same thing with all your arrows.  You can now sort by how they fly.  If you have several that go a little left, put them together, and use them together, that way you know, more or less, where they are going to go, and you can compensate with your aim point.  Likewise with any other direction.
      If however, all the arrows are scattered all over the target, then you are probably doing something wrong with your mechanics, and should seek assistance identifying the problem.  Then revert to step 5 above.

      Hope that helps

      Gwilym