      From: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Catherine Townson
      Sent: Monday, March 04, 2013 10:51 AM
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [SCA-Archery] What to do when you are always overspined?

      Hello all,

      I tried looking through the history, but didn't see an answer to my question.

      From everything I've read, one should be able to aim the tip of the arrow at the centre of the target, adjusting vertically for range.  In order to hit the target, I have to aim far to the left.  At 20 yards maybe 2-3 feet to the left of the target.  Googling my problem, it appears my arrows are very overspined.  I shoot left handed.

      I shoot a 25# recurve bow.  My draw length is 26".  At approximately 2# loss per inch, it means my draw weight is effectively 21#.  I use an approximately 28" shaft length.  I have been unable to find wood shafts lower than a 30-35# spine, mine are currently 35-40# (this was the lowest available at the time) but I have some 30-35# shafts on the way.  I'm using a fast flight string (which I believe adds 5 lbs to the suggested spine weight).  I am currently using 70 gr. points, which is what I was told to use, but I have 100 and 125 gr points on hand.

      I'd like to get a better idea of what to do before making my new arrows.   I can't be the only one with this problem.  Do I just consistently aim at a point to the left and hope to upgrade to a heavier bow in a couple of years?  Can I weight my points further (I see there are wood shaft point weights on the market)?

      Thank you for the assistance,

      -Cate.

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic