32803Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: What to do when you are always overspined?

  • Bill Tait
    Mar 5, 2013
      Yes, that's me, and sadly no, I can't afford the trip again this year. I'm aiming for Gator Cup in Florida in May (no pun intended).

      Aiming at half draw, then trusting that you're still on target through more draw will work reasonably well for the shorter distances we generally shoot in the SCA. I'm trying to hit a 12.2 cm 10ring at 90 meters, For me to be in the gold @ 90, I'm within .055" of center on release (assuming, of course, I don't botch the release)

      William

      On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 1:50 PM, The Greys <cogworks@...> wrote:

      William,
      Good points. My comments about pulling through the anchor point was the Pappa Bear method of draw release. Wherein he came to aim point in a half draw, where he would hesitate, then continued on backwards until his draw hand middle finger touched his upper canine tooth, at which point he released while continuing his draw hand/arm movement backward through the anchor point. It has the appearance to me of a snap shot. I've tried this technique but personally do much better with the static or dead release.

      On a different subject, I believe you are the William oft seen lurking about Gulf Wars :-). Will we have that pleasure once again next week?

      kog

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Bill Tait wrote:

      > Actually, I'd like to touch on the active release here:
      >
      > Snip
      >
      > > The final thing many beginning and experienced archers do is have the
      > > draw hand fly away from the face upon release. If your draw hand moves at
      > > all it should continue moving backwards so that it finishes by touching
      > > your rear shoulder. It is much like drawing through your anchor point,
      > > release just as you touch your anchor point.
      > >

      > This isn't quite right, but it does describe what I see when sca archers
      > are trying to do an active release.
      >
      > What should happen is that you come into your anchor, and the string
      > actually does stop. This is where your final aiming step takes place. What
      > does not stop is the movement of the string side shoulder blade. Continue
      > to pull the shoulder blade back, transferring the load rearward and
      > downward. At this point we move into "expansion", often accompanied by a
      > slow release of breath. The arrow gets drawn another 1-2 mm, and is
      > released. The expansion phase is used by olympic archers to draw the arrow
      > through the clicker.
      >
      > Your description of the release is a good one. Don't "let go", but rather
      > "stop holding". By loading into the lower / mid trapezius, the resultant
      > movement of the string hand will be rearward. If it comes away from the
      > face _aterally_, it is indicative of drawing using arm muscles, and upper
      > traps / deltoids (one of the hardest habits I'm trying to break). The
      > string hand does not have to come to rest at any specific location,
      > describing such will have people actively trying to hit a spot with their
      > string hand, employing more muscles to make that happen, rather than simply
      > letting the shot "open you up". My hand often comes to rest at the back of
      > my head. :)
      >
      > A fantastic example of a release is Natalia Valeeva:
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aln-GSMmRaU
      >
      > Watch any of the youtube footage of the archery world cups, or world
      > championships for examples of active release.
      >
      > William Arwemakere

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic