32792Re: What to do when you are always overspined?

  • lekervere
    Mar 4, 2013
      Trying other bows and other arrows on your bow is a good way to see if you have arrow spine issues. Archers ask about this at practice all the time. The surest way I know to check arrow spine is to stand behind the archer and watch to see that the arrow is flying in the direction its pointing when its anchored and ready to shoot. If the arrow goes straight where it was pointing, its probably not a spine issue. When it is a spine issue, it is very obvious. See if you can get a friend to watch you shoot.

      Hildebrand Archery recently came out with shafts spined for 10-15#.

      Edward

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Catherine Townson <cate.townson@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > I tried looking through the history, but didn't see an answer to my
      > question.
      >
      > From everything I've read, one should be able to aim the tip of the arrow
      > at the centre of the target, adjusting vertically for range. In order to
      > hit the target, I have to aim far to the left. At 20 yards maybe 2-3 feet
      > to the left of the target. Googling my problem, it appears my arrows are
      > very overspined. I shoot left handed.
      >
      > I shoot a 25# recurve bow. My draw length is 26". At approximately 2#
      > loss per inch, it means my draw weight is effectively 21#. I use
      > an approximately 28" shaft length. I have been unable to find wood
      > shafts lower than a 30-35# spine, mine are currently 35-40# (this was the
      > lowest available at the time) but I have some 30-35# shafts on the way.
      > I'm using a fast flight string (which I believe adds 5 lbs to the
      > suggested spine weight). I am currently using 70 gr. points, which is what
      > I was told to use, but I have 100 and 125 gr points on hand.
      >
      > I'd like to get a better idea of what to do before making my new arrows. I
      > can't be the only one with this problem. Do I just consistently aim at a
      > point to the left and hope to upgrade to a heavier bow in a couple of
      > years? Can I weight my points further (I see there are wood shaft point
      > weights on the market)?
      >
      > Thank you for the assistance,
      > -Cate.

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic