32791Re: [SCA-Archery] What to do when you are always overspined?

  • Catherine Townson
    Mar 4, 2013

      William Arwemakere: I will check my centreshot.  To be honest I can't think of where I am lining up my string.  I will keep it in mind.  It's very possible my failure is in technique - I am a beginner.

      Lord Robert Runewald: Thank you for the numbers.  This will give me a good guide to work from.  I'll see what increasing my point weight does.

      Lord Francois de Lions: It's your basic starter Samick sage takedown.  Left handed.  It's almost new and appears to be in good shape, but I'll give it a thorough go over.  I'll try to get an experienced archer to test it as soon as I can.

      I learn more from you guys in five minutes here than I do anywhere else.  Thank you all for answering my questions and giving me a number of things I can check. I really, really appreciate the help.

      -Cate.

      On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Frank Schalles <francisschalles@...> wrote:

      Cate,

      Could you tell us a little more about your bow.
      First, is this a right hand or left hand bow model? I know you are shooting left handed.
      Is this a one piece bow flat bow, or a take down?
      Or even a long bow?

      Shooting 2-3 feet left to hit the target, I am thinking it's not the spine of the arrows.
      Have someone else, both right and left handed archers shoot your bow with your arrows,
      preferably a Marshal or other more experienced archer.

      Inspect the bow to see if the bow has warped limbs,
      make sure the string has the correct brace height.

      Obtaining this information should point to either a bow issue or an
      archer stance/form issue.

      I hope this helped.

      Lord Francois de Lions,
      Keeper of the Royal Rounds,
      Kingdom of Ansteorra

      On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Catherine Townson <cate.townson@...> wrote:

      Hello all,

      I tried looking through the history, but didn't see an answer to my question.

      From everything I've read, one should be able to aim the tip of the arrow at the centre of the target, adjusting vertically for range.  In order to hit the target, I have to aim far to the left.  At 20 yards maybe 2-3 feet to the left of the target.  Googling my problem, it appears my arrows are very overspined.  I shoot left handed.

      I shoot a 25# recurve bow.  My draw length is 26".  At approximately 2# loss per inch, it means my draw weight is effectively 21#.  I use an approximately 28" shaft length.  I have been unable to find wood shafts lower than a 30-35# spine, mine are currently 35-40# (this was the lowest available at the time) but I have some 30-35# shafts on the way.  I'm using a fast flight string (which I believe adds 5 lbs to the suggested spine weight).  I am currently using 70 gr. points, which is what I was told to use, but I have 100 and 125 gr points on hand.

      I'd like to get a better idea of what to do before making my new arrows.   I can't be the only one with this problem.  Do I just consistently aim at a point to the left and hope to upgrade to a heavier bow in a couple of years?  Can I weight my points further (I see there are wood shaft point weights on the market)?

      Thank you for the assistance,
      -Cate.

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic