32790Re: [SCA-Archery] What to do when you are always overspined?

  • Bill Tait
    Mar 4 11:51 AM
      Substituting bad form to fix a non-issue like aiming off is never a good idea. Misaligning your body when it's under load will lead to phyical problems in the future.

      I have hip issues now from having my torso shifted rearward for too many years. I also dislocated a rib (under my bowside shoulder from bad bow arm alignment.

      William

      On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM, Sean Powell <sean14powell@...> wrote:

      Hello Cate,

      I experienced a similar problem when I was learning to shoot. As a right handed shooter I needed to target hard to the right of the target as well as adjust elevation for range. Turns out it wasn't my equipment, it was my stance. I was holding my head upright and while my knock point was close to below my eye it wasn't exactly below my eye. Since my eye was left of the arrow it made a well aimed arrow tip look far right of the target.

      My solution was a crouch or golfers lean. No I make certain that my bow is at a consistent angle to my spine and then lean forward until not only is the tip below the center of the target but that the knock-point is as well and the arrow is in a vertical line. This helped me immensely.

      Before changing your equipment I'd recommend borrowing a similar weight bow (harder as you are lefty) from someone with properly spined arrows to see if the problem persists. If so then it's not the equipment, it's technique. If their bow doesn't have the same problem then try their arrows in your bow and vice versa. If the problem corrects itself with their ammo and your bow then it's the ammo you need to fix. If your ammo works with their bow then you might want to experiment with ammo spinned heavier or lighter until you get the right combo and then buy that spine weight... but my money is on technique.

      Sean

      On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Catherine Townson <cate.townson@...> wrote:

      Hello all,

      I tried looking through the history, but didn't see an answer to my question.

      From everything I've read, one should be able to aim the tip of the arrow at the centre of the target, adjusting vertically for range.  In order to hit the target, I have to aim far to the left.  At 20 yards maybe 2-3 feet to the left of the target.  Googling my problem, it appears my arrows are very overspined.  I shoot left handed.

      I shoot a 25# recurve bow.  My draw length is 26".  At approximately 2# loss per inch, it means my draw weight is effectively 21#.  I use an approximately 28" shaft length.  I have been unable to find wood shafts lower than a 30-35# spine, mine are currently 35-40# (this was the lowest available at the time) but I have some 30-35# shafts on the way.  I'm using a fast flight string (which I believe adds 5 lbs to the suggested spine weight).  I am currently using 70 gr. points, which is what I was told to use, but I have 100 and 125 gr points on hand.

      I'd like to get a better idea of what to do before making my new arrows.   I can't be the only one with this problem.  Do I just consistently aim at a point to the left and hope to upgrade to a heavier bow in a couple of years?  Can I weight my points further (I see there are wood shaft point weights on the market)?

      Thank you for the assistance,
      -Cate.

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic