32787Re: [SCA-Archery] What to do when you are always overspined?

  • Bill Tait
    Mar 4, 2013
      Have you also checked your centershot? When viewed from behind, the point of an arrow on the string should appear to be sitting slightly to the right of the string:

      Nock arrow to string. View bow from behind, line string up with the middle of the limbs / riser. The point should be 1/2 - 1 tip diameter "outside" of centered". If it is more than that, then not only will you be hitting far to the right, but that offset will change with the distance you're shooting.

      You can shim your arrow rest out with thicker double-sided tape as needed.

      this is only the "static centershot". For true centershot setting, a "walkback test" is required.

      That said, you can run heavier points. That will help soften the spine of your arrows.

      As mentioned above, your sight picturemay be a factor. Where do you line your string up with when sighting?

      William Arwemakere

      On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 11:00 AM, Jim Pickette <pickette@...> wrote:

      It might also be sight picture or stance.

      JoO

      ---- Catherine Townson cate.townson@...> wrote:
      > Hello all,
      >
      > I tried looking through the history, but didn't see an answer to my
      > question.
      >
      > From everything I've read, one should be able to aim the tip of the arrow
      > at the centre of the target, adjusting vertically for range. In order to
      > hit the target, I have to aim far to the left. At 20 yards maybe 2-3 feet
      > to the left of the target. Googling my problem, it appears my arrows are
      > very overspined. I shoot left handed.
      >
      > I shoot a 25# recurve bow. My draw length is 26". At approximately 2#
      > loss per inch, it means my draw weight is effectively 21#. I use
      > an approximately 28" shaft length. I have been unable to find wood
      > shafts lower than a 30-35# spine, mine are currently 35-40# (this was the
      > lowest available at the time) but I have some 30-35# shafts on the way.
      > I'm using a fast flight string (which I believe adds 5 lbs to the
      > suggested spine weight). I am currently using 70 gr. points, which is what
      > I was told to use, but I have 100 and 125 gr points on hand.
      >
      > I'd like to get a better idea of what to do before making my new arrows. I
      > can't be the only one with this problem. Do I just consistently aim at a
      > point to the left and hope to upgrade to a heavier bow in a couple of
      > years? Can I weight my points further (I see there are wood shaft point
      > weights on the market)?
      >
      > Thank you for the assistance,
      > -Cate.

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic