32553Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Proposed Rules For New Grand Archery Shoot "Schutzenfest"

  • Bernal Schooley
    Jan 6, 2013
      Gladius,

      I'm not sure if Edmund was asking about shooting multiple times in a multi-event shoot designed to get 20+ participants or if he was just talking about shooting at multiple GAT events. In your examples you suggested that if an archer has multiple submitted scores they add together as the "sum of all standings" and the number of events would be noted as well. What I'm curious about is how scores are compared between individuals that participate in one, four and ten events. Do you have a system where the top four scores within the last year are summed for an official ranking or at least something similar?

      --Richard de Scolay
      Ayreton

      On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 8:44 PM, James Koch <alchem@...> wrote:

      Edmund,

      This is something we considered, but didn't address since we figured it is unlikely to happen in most cases.  My personal take is, how such a situation would be handled ought to be entirely up to the people who designed the shoot.  You could allow the person to shoot the tournament again, but submit only the original score.  You could submit the average, you could submit the highest score.  It is really up to the individuals designing the actual shoot to come up with rules which are both fair and allow for the greatest possible number of people to compete.

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

      >. At 09:41 AM 1/6/2013, you wrote:

      I love this idea, but I did have a question about the "multiple events" rule. My corner of Gleann Abhann is one such area where this rule would allow us to participate where otherwise we could not, but what happens if/when a shooter attends the second event with the GAT qualifying shoots?

      Do the shooter's first score(s) stand, or their best score(s)? Can they mix and match scores from the two events to form a "composite" of sorts?

      I'm not advocating one way or another, I simply know that this is a question that will eventually come up, and we as marshals need to know.

      -Edmund of Penyngton
      Live Weapons Marshal, Gleann Abhann
      Baronial Yeoman of Small Gray Bear

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, James Koch wrote:

      > Siegfried,
      > >
      > Jonathas is 100% correct. He neglected to add
      > that people would not have to drive 3 hours to
      > shoot the same thing they shot last
      > weekend. Their score would already be on record.
      > >
      > There is something I neglected to mention when I
      > first posted this. What I posted are not just
      > the rules. In addition to the rules are notes as
      > to why each rule is thought to be necessary along
      > with examples of what the rule allows. Once the
      > web site is created, you will see only the actual
      > rules. For notes, explanations, and examples
      > there will be hyperlinks to a FAQ page.
      > >
      > Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"
      > >

      > > At 12:31 PM 1/5/2013, you wrote:
      > >

      > >Siegfried,
      > >
      > >That was added so that in locations that do not
      > >draw many archers it would be possible to hold
      > >the same shoot at several events such that the
      > >combined total of archers would be enough. We
      > >are lucky in Atlantia that the vast majority of
      > >our archery events have enough archers to qualify.
      > >
      > >Jonathas
      > >On Jan 5, 2013 9:12 AM, "Siegfried"
      > >< siegfried@...> wrote:
      > >

      > >Allow me to clarify - as my words may have been
      > >confusing since this is a "any shoot can qualify" thing.
      > >
      > >Primarily I meant the nature that this is still
      > >standardized in the nature of "create a shoot
      > >that can be run at 2-3 events" - Which
      > >encourages identical shoots at events, vs unique
      > >ones that are encouraged in our area.
      > >
      > >As people are not typically excited to drive
      > >3hrs just to shoot the same thing they did last weekend.
      > >
      > >:-)
      > >
      > >Siegfried
      > >

      > >On Jan 5, 2013, at 9:07 AM, Siegfried
      > >< siegfried@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >>Also it would probably guarantee that the shoot
      > >>get little traction in areas (such as Atlantia)
      > >>that have prided themselves at havin unique
      > >>interesting shoots at events. And keeping
      > >>"stock" shoots (RR, IKAC, Winter) primarily at practices.
      > >>
      > >>Siegfried

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic