      From: John Edgerton <sirjon1@...>
      Subject: [SCA-Archery] Roundel target [1 Attachment]
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, SCA-West-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, November 24, 2012, 1:10 PM

      Just found this while surfing for medieval archery.

      "This manuscript, called the King’s Virgil (King’s 24, from the collection of King George III), was created between 1483 and 1485 in Rome for Ludovico Agnelli, the bishop of Cosenza. It is lavishly illuminated, and contains several texts from Ovid as well as the Aeneid.

      http://britishlibrary.typepad.co.uk/digitisedmanuscripts/2012/03/index.html

      K019498 King’s 24 f. 115 detail"

      Note the archery target on the extreme right of the illustration. It is a white roundel with a center black spot, not a pin. The disk it is mounted on is of a size that could also be used as part of the scoring area.

      Also, in the center background, notice the staff fighters. Their staffs have three balls, like a flail, attached to one end. That might make for an interesting staff competition.

      Please let me know if the attachment shows up.