32362Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Book, e-book and online recomendations?

  • Dame Macha of Mountain Edge (known as the
    Oct 20, 2012
      Greetings, Hollis!

      There is a medieval Scandinavian group to which I subscribe (I am always looking for equestrian and archery references). It is:

      In my opinion, the owner of that list is very well qualified to help you with authenticity questions. Were I an early period archer in the Scandinavian regions of the Knowne World, I'd consult her.

      Macha (currently serving An Tir as KEO but also the Chief Archer of her tiny local branch)

      On Oct 20, 2012, at 5:44 AM, htgalwm wrote:

      Greetings Gentles,
      would you care to offer reccomendations for references releating to early period archery, particularly the scandinavian region? Any help would be appreciated. Not being an academician I have limited access to reference works and, consequently, difficulty in evaluating those I do have access to.
      Thanks in advance,
      Hollis

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "bluecat@..." <bluecat@...> wrote:

      > Gaelen
      >
      > Actually, no, everything Hardy wrote is
      > not an equaly good source. I am a PhD in the field of Military
      > History, and my comment on "The Great Warbow" as opposed to
      > "Longbow" was a professional judgment. I will add to my to do
      > list doing a detailed review of the two books.
      > Charles O'Connor
      > (mka J. Patrick Hughes, PhD)

      > I concur.
      >
      > Hardy wrote a decent narrative but the books are basically unreferenced for a start. It would have helped
      > 'Longbow' very much if a bibliography was included, but it's not.
      >
      > I VERY highly recommend 'The Crooked Stick, A History of the Longbow' by Hugh D. H. Soar and any other works
      > by him. Highly detailed, very well referenced. Truly excellent works.
      >
      > Dirk Edward of Frisia
      > (mka Dirk Hermance- MA History)

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic