32230Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Horn Nocks

  • James of the Lake
    Sep 14, 2012
      Erik Roth, _With a Bended Bow: Archery in Mediaeval and Renaissance Europe_,  Spellmount, The History Press, Port Stroud,  Gloucestershire, 2012, ISBN 9780752463551, p. 36, shows a drawing of a brass nock insert next to a Viking arrow in addition to unreinforced, "chunky extra wood at the end" nocks.

      James

      On Sep 14, 2012, at 9:04 AM, aelric_southlake wrote:

      I have seen examples of  the "chunky extra wood at the end" type "viking" nocks, which I may try someday if I ever make a shaft from scratch. But SOMEWHERE in my diggings and searchings (and of course, I won't be able to find it now) I came across references to cast bronze nocks (Birka) and this notion that they might've also carved nocks from bone or horn. I can't remember how it was phrased, but the impression I got was an implication of "over the shaft"/ applied nock (like a modern nock, but probably none too streamlined).

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic