31868Re: [SCA-Archery] An Introduction

  • Ld.blackmoon
    Jul 31, 2012

      greetings

      just so you know ,  fita isn't your only option, another very good book for learning proper technique is the boy scout archery booklet.
      there are several groups out there that  teach or instruct proper form. ( you might even find some good sources online )
       find the one your most comfortable with, and practice till it becomes " natural " ; )

      as to limiting an adult male to a 20 # bow , it's up to you, but I would only recommend that if the person was recovering from an injury, or was very slight of build ,  as it is very , very easy to overdraw a 20 # bow , and a new archer really doesn't want to experience an arrow shattering next to their faces , from pegging the bow : (
      30 #  is plenty low enough for most guys and many gals . ( and has the bonus in many kingdoms of being legal for combat archery ,  ( check your kingdom rules ; )
      so it doesn't have to sit in a closet when you move to a heavier bow later on )
      and just from the expense involved , having to buy a 20 # , a 30 # , a 35 # , and then the # you actually want to shoot , can get outrageous, especially with all the new and replacement arrows...
       while it is good to practice form with a light weight bow , some people like a flatter trajectory , and if your planning on some day hunting , you will need to check your state for poundage requirements
      ( okla. requires a 40# bow minimum to hunt )
      the one thing I will add is that it is better to get the information 1st, then shoot , once you develop bad habits , it's hard to change them : /

      oh and be aware , the horse bow may not qualify for " period " in your kingdoms royal round , you will need to check with your kingdoms rules . ( although they are fun to shoot ; )

      I make self bows, and wood laminate bows ( no fiberglass, just woods and glue ) as well as shooting an old Ben Pearson recurve .
      best I can suggest is , shoot what you can afford, what's comfortable for you, and then work towards finding what type of period equipment you might like to build or buy in the future ; )

      oh and just because i haven't seen anyone else post this for you, check your kingdom rules, and state laws , but many people find that a period style crossbow is another way to participate in the archery community.
      and there are several places that will sell you parts, or even completed crossbows at decent prices .
      so you might want to see how your kingdom feels about crossbows as well ; )

      again good luck and favorable winds

      Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
      Arthur