      From: "Christopher LoPresto" <thlaleyn@...>
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, July 3, 2012 5:04:48 PM
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Poll results

      Uh... not trying to cause any trouble... but...

      I think if the plan was to drop options and move votes around, then there should have been options in the poll to not rank an option that the voter would not choose under ANY circumstance.  (Maybe this WAS an option in the poll and I just don't remember...).

      In other words, it should have been made clear in the poll description that votes might be 'transferred' and an option given to give any of the available choices a non-rank.  Some people may have a 1 and 2 choice that they are comfortable with, but their 3, 4, and 5 choices may fall into that category of not wanting these choices at all.  These folks may not want their #4 choice used to bolster an option that they were really opposed to.

      My two point five cents worth... :-)

      [Just to be clear... I applaud the effort to run the poll and get to a consensus, but I'm against massaging the data in the manner described.]

      Many thanks,
      Aleyn

      On 3 Jul 2012, at 18:25, Joe Klovance wrote:

      In the poll the respondents were allowed to rank the answers in the order or preference. These ranked answers can then go through a standard process used in many polls called a single transferable vote. In this process the the option with the least votes is dropped and the votes are re-counted as if that option never existed. This is repeated until the desired percentage is found or only two options are left. A similar thing can be done by separate polls where the bottom option of each vote is eliminated and another poll is taken. The STV process works under the premises that someone who ranks an option as rank 2 would select that option in the second poll if their number one option was removed after the first poll.

      If no massaging was anticipated then why do a ranked poll? I am doing a spreadsheet which will show all steps. If you would rather not deal with this massaged data then ignore my output.

      Gryffyd
      > Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 15:26:50 -0500
      > From: pickette@...
      > To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: RE: [SCA-Archery] Poll results
      >
      > I suggest sticking to the raw data, rather than over-massaging the data.
      >
      > JoO
      > Calontir

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic