      From: James Koch <alchem@...>
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Use of optical aids on the archery range
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, June 1, 2012, 7:40 PM

      Gentlemen & Ladies,

      Define optical aids.  Binoculars, telescopes, spotting scopes, and
      some range finders utilize lenses not available until after the SCA
      period.  They are for our intents and purposes modern.  On the other
      hand, some range finders do not require a lens.  A guy who used to be
      an active shooter here in the Midrealm had marks on the limbs of his
      crossbow that indicated a standard height or width when viewed at
      various distances.  He would look at the target with both eyes open
      and could accurately judge the range if he knew one of the target's
      dimensions.  There were no "optics" involved other than those of his
      eyes.  He simply compared the known target dimension to the spacing
      between the marks to get the approximate range and then
      interpolated.  It's hard to describe, but easy to do.  Of course this
      series of marks was only useful when dealing with unknown ranges.

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to: