30304Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: The Fourth Peerage?

  • James Koch
    Mar 2, 2012
      Richard,

      I agree 100%.  This is why when Merlin and I held our RR competition last year we offered identical prizes for the winners.  One for crossbow and another for hand bow.  Shooting together is good for comaradery and is logistically simpler, but scoring separately is a must.  In the case of champions shoots, as at Pennsic, we ought to have equal numbers of crossbows on each team.

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

      >  At 01:47 AM 3/2/2012, you wrote:

      I think the score comparisons that Gladius and Darrian have done, especially the top 10 and top 25%, just drive home the point that the scores for crossbows and hand bows produced by equally skilled shooters are still significantly different. This is obvious to most and it's why they are tracked separately. But even with this recognition, in some kingdoms the crossbow shooters are ranked using the same score levels as hand bows. And, in team competitions, they are often considered interchangeable even though everyone knows the crossbow shooters give their team a distinct advantage when the opposing teams have fewer crossbow shooters. Looking the other way and allowing crossbows to go up against hand bows can really spoil the results of a head to head competition whether it is an individual or team shoot. This can lead to a feeling of "why compete" by skilled hand bow shooters and cheapens the victory crossbowmen. Even if an event is small, you really shouldn't have crossbows compete head to head with hand bows for the same prizes and recognition.

      --Richard

      On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 9:39 PM, Wolfgang Starck <ericbelser@...> wrote:

      As someone who shot a recurve years ago when I was first active in the SCA and switched to using a crossbow this time back...I have to wonder if the scores tell the whole story.

      When you first show up at an SCA archery range, in a clueless new-shooter sort of way, you are invariably handed a loaner recurve or simple bow. My first 'competition' recurve was a hand-me-down from a more accomplished archer who had moved on to shooting a traditional crossbow.

      My current crossbow scores are vastly better than my old recurve scores...but I also have put in a whole lot of range hours with my crossbow that I never did with the recurve. So clearly looking at the top scores/top percentages is the comparison to make...

      I'll accept as a given that crossbows seem to have an edge (without going into a long discussion on why) but what does that mean for competition? The score lists are already tracked independently; outside of the biggest of events how often are there enough shooters to seriously consider splitting any given tournament into multiple categories?
      ~Wolfgang

    • Show all 224 messages in this topic