      From: David A. Nolan <davnolan88@...>
      To: "SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com" <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thu, February 9, 2012 10:29:38 AM
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Nock points, arrow angle, and some other stuff...

      I misspoke. I meant the use of a knot as a nock point, not necessarily an actual timber hitch.

      I've heard of some archers tying a nock point using an entirely separate piece of serving or even regular thread, and was wondering if anyone had experimented with it in the SCA.

      Aengus

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Feb 9, 2012, at 12:24 PM, Bill Tait <arwemakere@...> wrote:

      A "bowyers knot" is (I believe) simply a timber hitch used to secure the bowstring to the limb (at one end only). It is not a knot in the middle of the string,

      from the SCA target archery rules: a. Strings that have become knotted, or those that have been repaired by knotting strands
      together, shall not be used. This rule does not forbid those string designs that incorporate
      knots, such as a bowyer’s knot, in their original design.

      William

      On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Bill Tait <arwemakere@...> wrote:
      Your nocking point will not move vertically due to string stretch; the entire string stretches, not just the top half. :)

      Get yourself a bow square (clips to your string to help measure nocking point location, as well as brace height. Simply eyeballing it will give you inconsistent results. Mine is always the same, within 1mm. Brace height will affect the size of your group, not just the arrow speed.

      William

      On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 10:15 AM, aelric_southlake <magnetcoil@...> wrote:

      Thank you all for the responses! Phew, time to re-think my set-up!

      I noticed that after the nock point was put on my new recurve string, an indentation was left in the string's serving where the arrow nocks. So I should think that if one indeed did make the serving a bit wide, the "nock impression" left behind could serve as a nock point. Interesting. I'll have to find that guy's book, sounds like a great resource.

      But I think the "bit of string and some glue" might just do the trick - should I actually ever figure out how to tune my bow, ha ha ha. Here's a question though: My strings, on both bows, tend to stretch, I'm often winding up my longbow's string to get the brace height 'right.' I know I'm never getting it exactly the same (cuz I eyeball it), and I suspect my recurve's string stretches a bit with every session. So, string nock point is a bit of an ever moving target? That is, better than NOT having it, but something that really needs to be monitored from session to session?

      AND, glad to've heard about the paper tuning! At my local bow range they have these odd contraptions that hold paper in a frame. Had been wondering what those might be for.

      Thanks again, and back to the range for me...

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic