29757Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Simple but fun shoots

  • Dawn Ratz
    Feb 1, 2012

      Maybe try an unmounted yabusame? Traditionally this is ran at a gallop on horseback~ (I am practing that this year) where spaced balsa wood targets are hit and shattered as you ride by, or are thrown up into the air to be hit and shattered by an foot assistant. Youtube has many videos on this form of archery.
      Maybe have the archers run on foot to introduce this style? ~ I would love to get a mounted team eventualy.

      Gio

      On Feb 1, 2012 8:32 AM, "The Greys" <cogworks@...> wrote:

      Here's two that most archers have a great time with.

      Water bag shoot - Make a T with a string that runs between the two arms of the T with some length hanging down. On the end of each attach a plastic bag (comments below about plastic). Each bag is filled with water. Archers shoot bags. First archer to empty their bag wins. The plastic bags could be called animal bladders or you could cover them with burlap.

      Frame drop - This shot requires two archers. The target is a cardboard frame about 1 inch thick with an interior space of about 12 inches. The frame hangs from a balloon by a string. The balloon is sitting on a wire loop with the string passing out the bottom. All this at the top of a back stop. The first archer must pop the balloon allowing the frame to drop. The second archer must then shoot an arrow into the frame, not hitting the frame itself, to prevent the frame from hitting the ground. It is best to have a line drawn on the backstop to indicate the frame must drop below that line before being arrested to indicate the frame was in actual free fall when hit. They used this idea at the Grand Exhibition Tournament at Gulf Wars a few years back and I understand (I was unable to attend that Gulf Wars) the archers had "comments" about it but it was only the Trimarian archers who were able to actually accomplish the task.

      cog

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "mike" <mike_94088@...> wrote:

      > I need to come up with some...

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic