      Sent: Monday, January 23, 2012 11:37 AM
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] xbow string slipping

      My thanks to all those that replied to my request for help.

      When I sent my request to this list, I also emailed Elk Ridge Archery.  I had an very fast response from the owner, who explained what I needed to do and said to call him if I needed further explanation.  I did call and he was most helpful.

      What needed to be done was was to lightly file out, with a small round file, the top grove of the string nock in the horn overlay.  Sometimes the finish he paints on the nocks can fill in the grove a bit, so it just needs to be filed out.  When I looked and compared both nock groves, I could see the slight difference between them.  This allowed the string to roll over the edge of the grove and slide up the prod.

      He said that if I had a problem doing this, just to mail him the prod and he would fix it for me.  I am very pleased with the quick response and service that he provides.

      He makes handsome laminated prods, mine has birds-eye maple (you have your choice of woods) on both sides and throws my heavy bolts down range at about 220 fps. My prod is not set up for its full 10 inch draw, it is only 8.5 inches.  So it is not drawing its full 147 pounds.

      When the string came off in the IKAC, I had just put five bolts in a three inch circle, even with my fading olde eyesight.

      Jon, West