29524Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Period Target

  • George Bottorf
    Dec 20, 2011
      Greetings to All. I've been following this Period target stuff for a while now. I have come across some woodcuts of bowmen and crossbowmen shooting at birds! One was of an archer shooting what seems to be a rooster on a perch. One was a crossbowman shooting a  bird sitting in a small tree about chest high? The one above also shows about the same height off the ground. The third picture is a scene of crossbowmen shooting at a large round butt in front of a long building. There is a man standing next to the butt,REAL close, obviously scoring the shots. There are 3 shafts in a round target. No design is visible on the target. These pics were found on Wikipedia. If someone were to put a drawing of a rooster on a 60 cm circle, I'm sure it would do the job! It would difinately be unusual. Remember the wreath shoot? A picture of a wild non-endangered wreath, 1/8" black line inside of circle for scoring in/out. In good-out not. Maybe small center ring, gold?, just for fun? Wreath could be done on 60cm. face, scoring 2-4-8, as on normal trad scoring? Wreath itself-2 pts, inside circle-4 pts, and an 8 point center. If it was done in black and white, I think it would look good. If it was in color, green wreath, white inner circle, and a red inner circle. Or maybe gold? Red apple?  Of course this are only my ideas. The pictures of the shooters are there for all to see. I designed a period target face, 60 cms, around a double headed eagle. It looks good. I believe there is a copy at Jos. de la Tours house. If he would care to send a copy of it on to Sir Jon, I would be pleased. Maybe it will be of interest. Thank you All. YIS, Abner de Plunkett. Archer and Crossbowman. West Kingdom.
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic