29357Re: [SCA-Archery] Archers Knives And Short Swords

  • Hiroshi Thomas
    Nov 4, 2011
      Hey you considered the Oakeshott type XIV?
      Some examples can be found at just 2lb 1oz with a blade lenght of 26"-33". Thats pretty darn light. And the time period it was used puts it just right for the introduction of the longbowman in medieval Europe.

      http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_spotxiv.html

      -Hiroshi

      On 11/4/2011 11:23 AM, richard johnson wrote:
      I agree.
      Most short-swords are either long knives or short broadswords and way too heavy.

      I see a short-sword for an archer as a last-ditch defence weapon, NOT a combat weapon.  Something that is small and light and effecticve but does not get in the way.

      An archer isn't about to attack a mounted knight or a trained soldier in maile. He is a sniper who sees defence as running away and letting the soldiers protect him so he can do his job... taking out the enemy from a distance.

      So it would have a blade between 18-20" and fairly light.  NOT a Gladius.  Not a Celtic Leaf-blade.  Possibly a Kindjal.

      On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 4:54 AM, Caley <caoillainn1@...> wrote:

      Truth be told, I'm been considering buying an archer's short
      sword, but the ones I've found online were all too long. The
      manufacturers obviously don't know what a short sword *is*.
      From what I've read, they were rarely more than 24" long,
      since anything longer would interfere with their ability to shoot
      their arrows. Having tried to do archery while wearing a long
      sword, I must agree with this. Please contact me off list,
      although I'm going to an event straight from work this evening
      and won't get back til around noon on Sunday.

      Caley

      --
      Rick Johnson
      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com